Autoscrolling Problems in versions up to 1.0.8

trevor

19 Apr, 2010 07:02 PM

Hi folks.

Until now, all of the recent problems with Propane autoscrolling were reproducible in Safari. The correct course of action here was to work with 37signals to apply fixes for the benefit of both Propane and Safari users.

Unfortunately I've found one remaining autoscrolling bug that's specific to Propane and completely beyond 37signals control.

It's pretty common for Propane users to amend their stylesheet rules to hide certain messages. Propane's default stylesheet comes with a rule that does just that: selectively hide timestamps (in this case consecutive ones).

Amending Propane's built-in styles will fix this last autoscrolling problem for people who leave the default style alone.

However, the most robust way for me to handle the condition is in the new-message event handlers. That way it'll still work even if you've got your own crazy timestamp hiding styles that I'm not aware of.

But it does mean that I can't issue a quick-fix: I hate messing with the guts of Campfire so I'll want quite a few days of heavy testing to make sure I don't introduce any side-effects.

In the mean-time you can edit your ~/Library/Application Support/Propane/styles/cf_chat.css file to correct the problem.

Any occurrence of tr.timestamp_message in that file needs to be changed to tr.timestamp_message:not(.hidden).

For example, Propane ships with this rule:

tr.timestamp_message + tr.timestamp_message {
      display: none ! important;
    }

Change the rule to be:

tr.timestamp_message:not(.hidden) + tr.timestamp_message:not(.hidden) {
      display: none ! important;
    }

And then restart Propane for the changes to take effect.

I'm really sorry about this... version 1.0.9 will fix the problem in a way that isn't sensitive to the stylesheet rules.

Regards, Trev

1. trevor closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2014 11:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac