What's new in 1.2.0

trevor

05 Oct, 2011 07:10 PM

Version 1.2.0 is a maintenance release which includes the following changes:

• Support for Lion full-screen mode
  • Support for Growl 1.3 (which is available on the Mac App Store for Lion)
  • Re-enabled support for text-size menu items (requires Safari 5.1 or later)
  • Fixes problems with images displayed in Campfire's new 'yeah' and 'drama' sound messages
  • Adds support to drag images out of Propane's image-preview window
  • Re-enables support for PPC architectures (accidentally removed in 1.1.4)
  • Fixes problems with "lock scroll to bottom" behavior during resizing
  • Additional css classes and javascript responder callbacks (explained below)

Additional CSS classes

Propane's chat CSS can be tweaked by editing /Library/Application Support/Propane/styles/cf_chat.css.

body.propane_fullscreen

The propane_fullscreen class will be added to the body element whenever you enter Lion full-screen mode. The class is removed from the body when you leave full-screen mode.

I personally use this to bump up the overall size of the chat html while in full-screen mode:

body.propane_fullscreen {
  zoom: 1.2;
}

body.propane_host_[hostname] and body.propane_room_[roomID]

These two dynamically-generated classes are added to the body just before loading any custom Javascript Responder callbacks.

• [hostname] will be replaced with the subdomain of the campfire host. Eg: https://example.campfirenow.com would receive a body class of propane_host_example.
  • [roomID] will be replaced with the numeric id of the room. Eg: https://example.campfirenow.com/room/12345 would receive a body class of propane_room_12345.

If you don't know the host or roomID for a given chat, the easiest way to figure that out is to right-click on any message in a chat and select "Copy Transcript Link". This will copy a URL to the pasteboard that looks like this:

https://example.campfirenow.com/room/12345/transcript/message/999999#message_999999

I personally use these styles to change the look of certain chats to remind me to use less 'colorful' language. The CSS below will change the white 'fade' at the bottom of the chat to be a pale red.

body.propane_host_example div.speak {
  background-image: -webkit-gradient(
    linear,
    left bottom,
    left top,
    color-stop(0.0, rgba(256,192,192,1)),
    color-stop(0.5, rgba(256,192,192,0.75)),
    color-stop(1, rgba(256,192,192,0))
  ) ! important;
}

Javascript Responder Callbacks

Propane has a largely-undocumented feature that allows you to add your own javascript callbacks into the running Campfire javascript.

When a room is loaded, Propane will look for a file called ~/Library/Application Support/Propane/unsupported/caveatPatchor.js. If that file is present then Propane will load it into the running chat javascript just after it loads its own javascript hooks.

This is an expert feature which requires an understanding of Campfire's javascript so it's not for the faint-hearted. A sample caveatPatchor.js file can be found at https://gist.github.com/825404

New callbacks specific to Propane 1.2.0

Propane dispatches certain new events to the running Campfire javascript so that "should be scrolled to bottom" state is correctly preserved.

You can use these callbacks if you need your responders to alter their behavior based on tab focus, live resize and full-screen state.

Tab Focus

• onPropaneTabDidGainFocus()
  • onPropaneTabWillLoseFocus()

Live resizing

• onPropaneTabWillStartLiveResize()
  • onPropaneTabDidEndLiveResize()

Full Screen

• onPropaneToggledFullScreen(inFullScreen) inFullScreen is either true or false.

Text Resizing

Propane uses this to trigger a re-layout of the chat. Not sure why anyone else would need it, but mentioned for completeness.

• onPropaneChangedTextZoomFactor()
  1. 1 Posted by Chad Keck on 14 Mar, 2012 07:58 PM

Is this app/project dead? Is any future development going to happen? Would like to get an honest/candid answer before I make a purchase decision. Thanks.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by trevor on 14 Mar, 2012 08:26 PM

Hi Chad.

It's far from dead. It's in use 24 hours a day and just over a week ago I issued an interim/temporary release to work around a bug in early-access software from Apple - http://help.propaneapp.com/kb/usage/issues-with-safari-52-beta

I am currently working on version 2, but I have to maintain feature-parity with version 1 which is a challenge given how sparse the Campfire API is.

I'm not the only one facing that challenge: none of the alternatives in the marketplace are as feature-complete as Propane version 1.x

Ultimately my honest/candid answer is that you should evaluate Propane based on what it does today, not on promises of future development (after all, I could get run over by a truck on my way home).

Regards, Trevor

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac