Propane fails to connect

Martin Streicher

04 Oct, 2010 01:35 PM

Starting a few days ago, Propane fails to connect to rooms when launched. Nothing I do seems to allow me to connect.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by trevor on 04 Oct, 2010 03:31 PM

Hi Martin,

sorry it's causing problems. I need to ask a few questions:

1. Are you able to log in and use Campfire with Safari (I don't mean "another browser", I mean Safari specifically)?

2. Does the lobby window list people in the rooms or is it just the name and topic listed?

3. When connecting, does Propane's chat window show you any chat messages behind the "connecting" message?

4. Please open Console.app (in your Applications/Utilities folder), copy any messages that have "Propane" as the source and paste them back here please. Note that I don't need days and days worth of these messages, just the most recent ones from your last connection attempts.

5. Finally, it often pays to take a moment or two and think about what might have happened around about the time that Propane stopped working. Things like a new VPN installed, an OS upgrade, that sort of thing. Any of that information is helpful.

Thanks, Trevor

2. 2 Posted by Martin Streiche... on 04 Oct, 2010 09:28 PM

>
    >
    > sorry it's causing problems. I need to ask a few questions:
    >
    > 1. Are you able to log in and use Campfire with Safari (I don't mean "another browser", I mean *Safari* specifically)?

Yes, I can connect in Safari just fine.

>
    > 2. Does the lobby window list people in the rooms or is it just the name and topic listed?

It does have names.

>
    > 3. When connecting, does Propane's chat window show you any chat messages behind the "connecting" message?

It shows old messages

>
    > 4. Please open Console.app (in your Applications/Utilities folder), copy any messages that have "Propane" as the source and paste them back here please. Note that I don't need days and days worth of these messages, just the most recent ones from your last connection attempts.

10/4/10 5:24:51 PM Propane[43202] *** WebKit discarded an uncaught exception in the webView:didFinishLoadForFrame: delegate: <NSUnknownKeyException> [<WebUndefined 0x28b7580> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key userID.

10/4/10 5:25:24 PM Propane[43202] *** WebKit discarded an uncaught exception in the webView:didFinishLoadForFrame: delegate: <NSUnknownKeyException> [<WebUndefined 0x28b7580> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key userID.

>
    > 5. Finally, it often pays to take a moment or two and think about what might have happened around about the time that Propane stopped working. Things like a new VPN installed, an OS upgrade, that sort of thing. Any of that information is helpful.

Nothing changed. Always works like a charm, but stopped this weekend.

Martin

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by trevor on 04 Oct, 2010 11:38 PM

Hi Martin,

those valueForUndefinedKey messages ring a bell for something that I was sure I solved a long time ago...

What version of Propane are you using? (see the Propane / About Propane menu).

Trev

4. 4 Posted by Martin Streiche... on 05 Oct, 2010 12:39 AM

Version 1.0.8 (1.0.8.5b0518f)

5. 5 Posted by Martin Streiche... on 05 Oct, 2010 06:14 PM

Version 1.0.8 (1.0.8.5b0518f)

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by trevor on 06 Oct, 2010 12:33 AM

Hi Martin,

it looks like the exact same issue that I addressed last December, where the userID value had not been populated by the time I received the callback saying the page had loaded.

I've created a special build that adds more checks to the process, would you please try it out and let me know if it solves the problem for you?

http://propaneapp.com/appcast/Propane_martin.zip

Thanks, Trev

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by trevor on 06 Oct, 2010 12:35 AM

I should also point out that, for the purposes of isolating the problem, it's best to only try to open one room at a time.

If it fails can you check Console.app for any debug messages and paste them back here.

Thanks, Trev

8. 8 Posted by Martin Streiche... on 06 Oct, 2010 02:36 AM

This version does indeed work. The console reports:

10/5/10 10:34:06 PM Propane[82459] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
    10/5/10 10:35:20 PM Propane[82472] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac