External Messages

Tony Daly

10 Jan, 2011 10:23 AM

Hi,

I've set up a bunch of external services which post messages to our Campfire room. These messages show up with a green background in Propane.

However, these messages don't actually show up in Propane's live feed. If I quit Propane and reopen it then the messages show up. The messages also show up fine in the Campfire web interface.

Any help appreciated,

Tony Daly

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by trevor on 11 Jan, 2011 05:28 PM

Hi Tony,

when Propane asks the server for new messages to display in the live fee, the server omits any messages that were sent by the currently-logged-in user. On the other hand, when Propane requests the full transcript the server returns all messages, regardless of who sent them.

That sounds like the source of your problem: your external services are using your API key to post the messages so you won't see them (everyone else will though).

For this reason, I create a fake user account and use those credentials for external services to post messages. It also has the added benefit that the messages are shown coming from the service-user rather than from me.

Let me know if you continue to have problems.

Regards, Trev

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac