Propane goes brain dead and takes %100 of cpu

evan

23 Jan, 2009 11:43 AM

Hey Trevor,

I'm getting this problem where sometimes propane goes crazy and eats up the cpu.. here's a sceen shot of console when it happens.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by trevor on 23 Jan, 2009 06:32 PM

Hey,

Blargh.

Well, I guess one starting point is to quantify 'sometimes'. How often does it happen?

One thing that's telling is the private memory - 400MB is insane so whatever is happening, chewing through memory is a big part of the issue.

You've racked up 24 hours of execution time for Propane which means that it's been running for a while (my rough observations have been that one room generates about 0.75 seconds of execution time per wall-clock minute). Am I right in thinking Propane had been running for days?

I've noticed that Safari (and by extension, Webkit) is pretty easy to beachball if you issue a number of requests that timeout. Basically if you're impatient with Safari whilst on a laggy network you can crash it fairly easily. It looks like you've got 2 (or more?) rooms open and lots of the poll requests are failing. Might be related.

One concrete thing I might do is to detect consistent polling failures and terminate each campfire room's poller. Then I could switch to a strategy of trying to fetch each room's 'tabs' in a more controlled fashion. I'd have to disable elements of the UI while that was going on but at least you'd know about network problems.

I say again. Blargh.

2. 2 Posted by evan on 23 Jan, 2009 06:42 PM

It seems to happen when i leave propane open for days.. which i'd like to be able to do... and then go on and off of wifi as i move around.

Propane doesn't seem to detect that we're offline, and keeps trying, slowly leaking memory with each attempt?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by trevor on 23 Jan, 2009 07:22 PM

WRT leaking with each attempt - no, that's not what I've seen.

I think the 400MB is a function of something catastrophic - possibly triggered by the way webkit behaves in the face of lost packets and a large number of failing connections (my interpretation of the Safari behavior).

One of the reasons I'm so slow with updates is that I like to run it constantly (apart from when my computer is asleep as I move around) for about a week to see how well it's behaving. I regularly lose network connectivity for extended periods with no ill-effect.

What I don't regularly experience is lost packets or a 'spotty' connection. It's either fully functional or not there at all. You guys down there seem to suffer fairly regularly from spotty connections.

I've also had issues from Giles (not about this exactly) that were understandable once I learned the was experiencing problems while connectivity was spotty.

As for detecting when you're 'offline' - Propane does vaguely understand that something is wrong and you're probably not connected. But as of now it doesn't quite know what to do about that.

When you're 'offline' because of packet loss, you've still got a chance of getting some information through. I worry about saying "your connection health isn't good enough, I'm going disable the room and not let you talk" when there's a chance you might be able to talk after all.

But I may have no choice if stuff spirals out of control when each room is left to its own devices here.

4. 4 Posted by evan on 23 Jan, 2009 07:51 PM

I'd much rather have it be something where after say, 5 or 10 minutes, it greys out the tabs and gives me a button to reconnect.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac