Propane burning over 20% of my cpu cycles

chris.tsongas

07 Nov, 2013 06:39 PM

So, propane is taking 20-30% of my cpu cycles, but only when i have one particular tab open. If I go to a second tab that I have open, cpu usage drops back down to < 1%. Anyone else experienced this? Only thing different about offending tab is it has a few more users (maybe 10 vs 5 in the other) and someone posted an animated gif.

1. 1 Posted by chris.tsongas on 07 Nov, 2013 06:42 PM

Report from a co-worker in the room (I'm on 1.3.4):

Chris Tsongas i have the same version. when i shrink up the propane window so the animated gif is off screen, the cpu drops

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by trevor on 07 Nov, 2013 06:46 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes, animated gifs consume a lot of CPU while they are on-screen. You can see the same effect if you view the same Campfire room in Safari.

If you right-click on an image you can select the menu option of "Hide annoying image" and it will cause the image to be replaced with a link.

Regards,
    Trevor

3. 3 Posted by Chris Tsongas on 07 Nov, 2013 07:28 PM

So, no fix planned for this? I know my browser doesn't gobble cpu if I'm
    viewing a page with an animated gif.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by trevor on 08 Nov, 2013 04:00 AM

Hi Chris,

If your browser is Safari, then it does gobble the CPU when viewing animated gifs in Campfire (though it's a sub-process called "Safari Web Content").

Propane currently uses the same rendering engine as Safari (WebKit) which is why it behaves the same when presenting animated gifs.

So the fix, as such, is to move away from browser-based rendering. I'm working towards it.

Regards,
    Trevor

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac