Confirmation on room close with Command+W

Tristan

26 Jun, 2012 07:54 PM

I have campfire/Propane focused a lot. Like, a lot a lot. As I'm sure anyone who uses it regularly does.

Often I forget I have it focused (esp. as I have 2 monitors) and want to close a tab in chrome or a window somewhere else.

But when I hit Command+W, it closes my focused Propane tab instead. Lame.

I think a confirmation on trying to close a room would be a good idea for lots of reasons, that included. Or perhaps just make it a simple option for people who are lazy with focus like myself.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Levi Figueira on 10 Jul, 2012 03:26 AM

Campfire is a lot more like IRC than IM. For that reason, CMD+W should HIDE the window not close tabs… That should obviously be optional but I'm sure people who use Campfire a lot would choose to activate that option, IMHO. :)

2. 2 Posted by Tristan on 01 Oct, 2012 09:15 PM

Agreed - hiding the entire window would make perfect sense. It can then be re-opened by simply clicking the icon or a Growl (or ideally, Notification Center) notification.

Any update on this idea? I just hit it again today and was quite annoyed.

Even better would be to make the rooms accessible via the sidebar, maybe right above "Who's Here?" and showing whether you're in those rooms or not by highlighting or showing an icon next to them. Clicking them would open a new/existing tab for the room. Going to the "Lobby" window is a hassle as it is, since you have to open it once per room you want to join. It would be much better to make that Lobby interface persistent IMHO.

3. 3 Posted by Tristan on 26 Oct, 2012 03:14 PM

Still waiting on confirmation of this.

I wish Propane was open source at this point, because I would love to do it for you.

Here's what I've decided:

Cmd-W should HIDE the propane window, and everything should continue to work in the background. Clicking the Propane icon should make it visible again.

Clicking the CLOSE ICON on the TAB BAR should CONFIRM before closing. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally closed a room when I was just trying to switch to it. Sort of the opposite of what I wanted.

Minor things. Come on, at least respond!

4. 4 Posted by Don Johnson on 27 Dec, 2012 03:37 PM

Another one--this hits me at least a couple times a week.

Please fix!

5. 5 Posted by Tristan on 02 Apr, 2013 05:41 PM

6 more months down the road, still no response (and the product appears abandoned).

At least open source it if you're just going to abandon. Otherwise, seriously, what's up?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by trevor on 06 Apr, 2013 04:50 PM

Hi Tristan,

What's up is 18 months of an insane work schedule, leaving no time for outside projects.

Then at the beginning of November, 3 Weeks before I was due to take some extended time off to recharge and do nothing but Propane, I developed some serious health problems that are only now starting to resolve.

So while I'm grateful that you care about Propane (really) and I appreciate how important the window-closing behavior is to you, this change is not a top-priority right now (on many levels).

There is currently an update being beta-tested which corrects growl deficiencies. That will be the next point release.

Trevor

7. 7 Posted by Tristan Harward on 12 Apr, 2013 02:29 PM

Trevor: thanks for the update. Communication helps a lot. Been there. Good

8. trevor closed this discussion on 26 Apr, 2013 04:28 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac